Monday, March 13, 2017

Basel, Switzerland

This past weekend, I got to travel to Basel, Switzerland with a friend!

It was a wonderful trip and a beautiful city. We stayed at a nice little airbnb that was close to the city center. During the weekend, we took a historic town tour, went to the zoo, and explored Basel. Being my first time in a German speaking country, I was unsure about how my communication skills would be. Thankfully, it worked out and I was excited about experiencing Basel's culture.

For our last morning in town, I woke up at 5:40 am so that I would be able to go down to the Rhine River and watch the sunrise. It was definitely worth waking up for (which I debated for a while the night before, haha) After sunrise, I enjoyed my morning walking around and seeing the influx of people as they began their work week. Being able to experience new things and interact with people from different cultural backgrounds has been enriching. I love listening to people as they go about their day to day lives.

In our airbnb, the family we stayed with had a child who would easily go back and forth from speaking in German to speaking in English to us. If only it was that easy for me to switch between foreign languages! I learn what people call "survival skill" phrases and hope for the best. Being in a foreign speaking country has given me insight to even the simplest of things that I would never really think about otherwise.


View from the flight to Basel (Mountains below) 

Sunrise on the Rhine

No comments:

Post a Comment